Saturday, September 1, 2012

Tomorrow never comes


And I don't wanna be an old man anymore
It's been a year or two since I was out on the floor
Shaking booty, making sweet love all the night
It's time I got back to the good life
It's time I got back, it's time I got back
And I don't even know how I got off the track
I wanna go back, yeah!  - Weezer: the good life

It is time I got back.  But unlike Rivers Cuomo I know exactly how I got off the track.

It's called 'tomorrow never comes'.  It works like this:  Just one more vodka and cranberry.  Just one more Cigarette.  Just one more night on the town.  And it's sorta like groundhog day, every day is the same and they all just bleed together.  Tomorrow, I'll change tomorrow.

So sometime back in early April in 2012 I'm talking to my doctor.  The only reason I went to see him is he refused to keep refilling my asthma prescription without an office visit.  So we're going over everything and his two chief concerns were that:
  1. I was going through asthma medication at an unacceptably high rate and maybe it was time to look at some other things such as supplementary oxygen.  wait, what!?! 
  2. Then it was on to my rapid weight gain, which in combination with my deteriorating vitals were an indication that I may be on the cusp of type 2 diabetes. Wait, once you get that shit there's no un-having it, that's like permanent, right?!?  YES.
What the fuck is this!?!  not too long ago I was surfing in indo bitch.  This can't be happening.

Well, you're in your 40s, and your body doesn't bounce back like it used to.

I was in a state of shock.  I asked him about prescription quit smoking medications and he put me on chantix which makes you crazy as all get out. you may die from turning into a psychotic basket case, but you won't want to smoke.  Sounded like a fair trade-off to me.  Yes there were strong side effects no question, but I rather enjoyed them.  Is that kind of sick or what?

But let's get back to tomorrow never comes.  In my mind up until recently I had been kicking ass and taking names and this getting fat and being a smoker and drinking heavily all that was just a short term thing I was going to take care of any day now.

My passport says otherwise:


Yea, that says 14th of may, 2006.  six years ago. SIX YEARS AGO.


Keep your blood clean, your body lean, and your mind sharp.


-s

No comments:

Post a Comment